SDIA Youth Hockey Program
Welcome to the SDIA Ice Hockey Program. We offer a house league program for all youth ages, as well as tournament and travel team options for you and your favorite hockey player(s) to choose from. We also offer many adult league options too. Navigate our wide variety of programs for youth and adult players and if you have questions please contact our devoted hockey director, Craig Sterling; firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +1 (858) 602-6401
The SDIA hockey program is always looking for highly motivated hockey coaches, Please phone Craig if interested +1 (858) 602-6401.
If you have a new player that is 4-9 years old and would like to try hockey for free for 6 weeks email email@example.com we provide all the equipment , you will just need a stick. This is the best program for any new players that want to try hockey. Class is Saturday Mornings 1045-1140 AM CLICK HERE to sign up.
THIS IS WHAT HOCKEY GEAR YOU NEED TO BE FULLY EQUIPPED TO PLAY HOCKEY
AND HOW TO PUT IT ON.
You can join a SDIA in House team any time of the year and the cost will be pro rated. Lets play hockey
Code of Conduct
(1)Code of Conduct Coaches Code of Conduct
- Be a positive role model
- Be consistent, honest, fair and just
- Encourage all players to be team players
- It’s called coaching but it really is teaching. Don’t just tell them, show them the reasons
- Maximize skill, respect, and love of the game of hockey Players Code of Conduct
- Be a good sport
- Be on time for practices and games
- Be a team player
- Respect your coaches, teammates, parents, opponents and officials
- Time together for team unity and friendships. HAVE FUN Parents Code of Conduct
- Bring your athlete to practices and games on time
- No parents at or around the bench please
- Avoid the temptation to bombard your child with advice on the drive to the rink. Emphasize focus, maximum effort and fun
- Do not offer your child money or similar incentives for goals or wins. It teaches individualism over team play
- Never criticize officials, coaches or other players in front of your child
- Always find something positive to say to your child after a game or practice
- Be a role model. Avoid criticisms and negative talk in the stands.
- Approach coaches with concerns calmly and rationally and you will always be heard
Players play. Coaches coach. Parents encourage, cheer and support.
(1)Classes (2)Mini Mite Skills Best Hockey Class in City for Young Ones Sign up for the season which goes from Sept to End of March or the summer session which is April to end of August. You will get a jersey, get two practices a week 1 hour each and in the winter holiday season you will play mini games down at Horton Plaza on the outdoor rink. You will also get unlimited public skating and you can join anytime and the cost will be pro-rated. We also have a walk on or 6-12 week session also. $13 walk-on or sign up for either 6 or 12 weeks. This class can be taken with the Beginning hockey class. If this class if taken with the beginning hockey class it is offered as a two for one. The mini mite class requires full equipment and the ability to skate independently. It is offered from 10:45 – 11:10 AM. This class is offered to the beginning skater who is mastering skating with the puck. This class is geared to teach skaters the beginning rules and applications of hockey. This class builds on the lessons learned in the beginning hockey classes. You can sign up in the SDIA Pro Shop. With enrollment in this class you receive a card which allows you to practice at ANY public session, three times a week for the number of weeks you register. You can register for as few as 6 weeks or the entire 12 week session. If you prefer, you can pay a walk-on fee each week. The cost is $12.00 per class. If you choose this walk on option you will be given a pink slip each week, which you should give to the instructor. This option does NOT include any public session practice.
(2)Youth Beginning Hockey Saturdays 10:45am – 11:15am $13 walk-on or sign up for either 4 or 12 weeks This class is offered through the Skating School but it is a hockey class. It is offered on Saturday mornings from 10:45 – 11:15 AM. This class is geared for the pure beginner. A skater who is just learning to skate in hockey skates. The age varies in this class. The class focus is basic skating, stopping, and simple drills to improve and teach the beginner all about hockey skating. All skaters should wear a minimum of hockey skates. This is a great way to try hockey skating without the cost of purchasing the gear. You can sign up in the skate shop. With enrollment in this class you receive a card which allows you to practice at ANY public session, three times a week for the number of weeks you register. You can register for as few as 6 weeks or the entire 12 week session. If you prefer, you can pay a walk-on fee each week. The walk-on cost is $13.00 per class. If you choose this walk on option you will be given a pink slip each week, which you should give to the instructor. The walk-on option does NOT include any public session practice. MUST HAVE OWN STICK
Power Skating A 30 minute power skating class offered through the Skating School. It is offered on Fridays from 5:40 – 6:10 PM. It is designed to improve speed and agility. This is a class offered to intermediate level hockey players. All skaters who take this class should wear full hockey gear and bring a stick. Pucks are NOT used during this class. To participate you can sign up in the skate shop. With enrollment in this class you receive a card which allows you to practice at ANY public session, three times a week for each week you are registered. You can register for as few as 4 weeks or the entire 12 week session. If you prefer, you can pay a walk in fee each week. The cost is $13.00 per class. If you choose this walk on option you will be given a pink slip each week. Give the slip to the instructor. This option does NOT include any public session practice option. . These classes are open to intermediate level skaters and above. All ages are welcome. Skaters are encouraged to set a pace for themselves to get the most out of the class. To sign up for the class follow the link on the web page. This is a brief overview of our classes offered at our arena. Please do not hesitate to ask questions of any member of the SDIA staff. We strongly believe that these classes help build each individual player and program. Please take part in the many opportunities offered here. CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO
Youth Developmental Fridays 6:10 pm – 6:55PM (Admission $13 for walk on or 4 weeks for $40) This is a 45 minute class and players should wear Full equipment. You will work on speed, puck control, stick handling, shooting. To participate in this class each skater has two payment options. The first option is Swipe cards. The cards are available in the Pro Shop. The swipe card can be loaded with 4 sessions at a cost of $40.00. These sessions do not expire. Each skater is responsible for handing the card to the cashier at the skate shop window to have the card swiped prior to entering the arena. If you are not interested in the swipe card, you can pay a walk-on fee prior to entering the ice. The cost is $13.00 per session. Please retain your receipt and have your hand stamped for either payment option. Please show your receipt and hand stamp to the door monitor prior to entering the ice. Contact Craig Sterling with any questions.
Private Lessons Your Player has great potential Maximize it with Personalized Private Instruction Learn from Players That Have Been There! Learn fundamentals and strengthen your hockey skills:
- Skating (balance, speed, agility, backward, forward)
- Shooting (accuracy and power on wrist, snap, backhand, snapshots)
- Stick Handling and Puck Control ( playmaking, passing)
- Speed of Execution (anticipation, reaction, quickness)
- Face Offs, Checking, and Tie-ups
- Defensive and Offensive Positioning (blocking, angling, deeking)
- On-Ice Communication and Leadership
Individualized training for all ages and levels:
- Beginners In-House league to Travel B, A, AA, AAA, Juniors
- For specialized goaltending training,
- please contact Craig Sterling
To get Private lessons with Coach Brad or Coach Craig Email firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) SCAHA Hockey 2016-2017 Season TRAVEL TEAMS PLAY THROUGH OUT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND SOME TOURNAMENTS ARE OUTSIDE CALIFORNIA. THIS LEAGUE IS FOR THE MORE ADVANCED PLAYER As the Oilers look ahead to the 2017-2018 season, the coaches see plenty of talented players. SDIA will be fielding Peewee teams (05-06) coached by Mitch Rodin and John Baxter , Bantam teams (03-04) coached by John Simon , Mike Jager Join the best hockey program in San Diego. For the 2017-18 season SDIA is looking at having 8 teams. For over 38 years, the Oilers have celebrated the development and growth of youth hockey in the greater San Diego area. The San Diego Ice Arena offers something for everyone, from beginning skaters to high-level, advanced players looking to play Juniors or college hockey. The SDIA hockey program is family friendly and concentrates on all aspects of developing the child into a young adult. Our Tournament Teams offer competitive hockey for house league players without the expense and commitment of a pure travel team. Tournament teams are offered from Mites to Pee Wees. Tournaments are played in San Diego, Orange County, LA County, San Jose, Arizona, and Las Vegas. House league and tournament players are welcome and able to join all year long. Our Travel Teams play either SCAHA (Southern California Amateur A & B level) or CAHA (California Amateur AA) and participate in tournaments across Northern America, traveling as far as Boston and Quebec. Travel teams are offered from Squirts to Midgets. Try-outs for AA, A, & B travel hockey are held in June. The season runs September to March. Our coaches are certified (levels 3-5) and many have professional experience. Contact Craig Sterling email@example.com for more information on private lessons or choosing the appropriate level for your player.
VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR SCAHA LEVEL PLAYERS FOLLOW THESE STEPS
Sign up for Pre Tryout Clinics and Tryouts Save $ Sign up Early CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO PLAY SCAHA YOU MUST GET A SCAHA NUMBER FOLLOW THESE STEPS ASAP 2017-2018 SCAHA Season Pass Registration Register now to participate in tryouts for the 2017-2018 season. As we move forward towards the 2017-2018 Season, you will need to register your child for the upcoming season to participate in tryouts. To register, you will need: Your child’s USA hockey 2017-18 membership. Once you have your USA hockey membership and you have logged in to the SCAHA site (using the same login as last year), go to Register for SCAHA in the options menu and follow these steps(click link to download step by step instruction) to complete the process and receive your 2016-2017 SCAHA Season pass
If you do not have an existing account, select the Create Account link enter your information as the parent and create the account. Once your account is created select the Register for SCAHA option and follow the steps.
Goalie Club For goalie training and one on one lessons contact firstname.lastname@example.org We do training Fridays 6:25 pm SDIA TV Goalie Clinic
- Consider your stance the foundation of your goaltending abilities, as your speed and power begin here. InGoal Magazine recommends that you have a comfortable stance while bending your knees significantly, rather than your back. Bent knees allow you to generate power as you push off the ice, which allows you to follow the puck while keeping you close enough to the ice to stop lower shots.
- Maintain a commitment to controlling your rebounds, as rebound control can make your life as a goalie much easier. Former NHL goalie Kevin Weekes believes that equipment, skating ability, and technique all contribute to rebound control ability, as they determine the angle at which the puck will hit you. Watch how professional goalies keep the puck close to them or direct them into the corner, as they work hard to eliminate rebound scoring chances.
Work on Positioning
- Keep yourself in good position at all times. According to InGoal Magazine, you should keep yourself square to the shooter and make small movements to adjust to any movements that the puck makes. Make sure that your head remains aligned with the puck because this ensures that your body stays in the proper position.
- Practice your skating often–some goaltenders neglect this important skill and pay for it in the long run. Hockey Canada teaches all of its goalies to work on their control and mobility, as goalies must start, stop, and push off to stay in position. Work on changing directions while skating, since most shooters will attempt to shoot the puck away from your body, forcing you to move quickly to make the save.
- Work on your puck handling regularly, as it gives your team a distinct advantage. InGoal Magazine reports that a goalie skilled in puck-handling can prevent the opposing team from gaining control of the puck in the offensive zone. Practice your puck handling frequently, as leads to fewer scoring chances for the opposing team and, therefore, fewer saves for you to make.
GOALIE CLUB IS FRIDAYS 610 PM TO 655 PM SIGN UP IN SPORT SHOP
Shaun Simmons NAHL Scranton Knights Junior A
Rory Herman NCAA Division 1 Arizona State
Played for Craig Sterling SDIA
3 years ACHA hockey at Colorado college
Captain for 2 seasons 2014-2016
1 year practice squad NCAA division 1 Colorado College 2013-2014
Andrew Erwin Hibbing Varsity as a freshman
Eden Prairie varsity .
Gray Erwin Hibbing Varsity and Ep varsity
2 place Minnesota state tourney
Gray Erwin Kenai Alaska with the NAHL Kenai Brown bears!
MITE 1 PRACTICE THURSDAYS 420 PM
MITE 2 PRACTICE SUNDAYS 315 PM
MITE 3 PRACTICE SUNDAYS 315 PM
Coach: Mike MorneauAlyssa Cheng
Wilson AdamsSean BaiNoah Rosenthal
SDIA SQUIRT 1 PRACTICE 420 PM MONDAYS
Squirt Metro Team 1 Practice Monday 420pm
SQUIRT 3 SUNDAY 315 PM
SDIA SQUIRT 2 PRACTICE 420 PM MONDAY
PEEWEE METRO LEAGUE ROSTERS
SDIA PEEWEE 1 METRO PRACTICE 530 pm THURSDAY
SDIA PEEWEE 1
530 PM THURSDAY
HEAD COACH TODD
|BRAD LAWSON (GOALIE)|
| OLIVIA CASTELLOE
Peewee 2 530 PM THURSDAY
|ROMAN VANDER ZWART|
|JON PAUL GUITEREZ|
| Christian Ormsby
PEEWEE 3 METRO LEAGUE 530 PM THURSDAY
530 PM THURSDAY
| Marlie Berglin
BANTAM/MIDGET WINTER 2016-17 ROSTERS
SDIA BANTAM TEAM 1 WEDNESDAYS 625 PM
PRACTICE WEDNESDAYS 625 PM
HEAD COACH BOB GREEN